Staff Software Engineer - Data Infra
Ambient.ai is a unified, AI-powered physical security platform that helps enterprise organizations reduce risk, improve security operation efficiency, and gain critical insights. Seven of the top 10 U.S. technology companies, along with multiple Fortune 500 organizations across a variety of industries, leverage Ambient.ai to unify their security infrastructure and significantly enhance their security posture.
The Ambient.ai platform applies AI and computer vision intelligence to existing sensor and camera infrastructure to deliver continuous monitoring and detect threats in real-time. Ambient.ai does this while simultaneously decreasing false alarms by over 95%, allowing security teams to focus on legitimate threats. With Ambient.ai, companies can do more with less and prevent security incidents before they happen.
We were founded in 2017 by Shikhar Shrestha and Vikesh Khanna, experts in artificial intelligence from Stanford University who previously built iconic products at Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Dropbox. We are a Series-B company backed by Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), Allegion Ventures, SV Angel, Y Combinator, and investment angels like Jyoti Bansal, Mark Leslie, and Elad Gil.
Named on the YC Top Companies List 2021, 2022, 2023, and the Forbes Cloud 100 Rising Stars 2020, we are turning the impossible into the inevitable. We are always looking for passionate people who enjoy solving the toughest problems with cutting-edge AI/ML.
Fun facts about our technology:
- Over 5bn+ events are ingested daily into our data processing pipeline, which generates real-time insights with sub-second latencies backed by an SLA
- Our data stores collectively handle 100TB of data empowering queries with super low latencies using technologies like ElasticSearch, Postgres, Timescale, and Redis
- We maintain 99.99% availability across our tech stack, which we meticulously monitor and ensure we meet the SLA
- We handle real-time video streaming using WebRTC with sub-second latencies for a mission-critical application
- We build core technologies to enable real-time video summarization and low latency search over 25bn+ media objects
- To enable privacy-focused computer vision intelligence, we leverage edge computing coupled with serverless technologies ensuring high scalability
Reporting into Raghu Nallamothu, In this role, you will play a pivotal role in designing, developing, and scaling our data storage and caching systems to petabyte scale. You will be responsible for ensuring the availability, reliability, and performance of our data infrastructure, contributing to the success of our mission-critical applications. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to work with retrieval-augmented generation systems.
The impact you'll make:
- You will lead the design, development, and scaling of our data storage and caching systems to petabyte scale while also spearheading the development of advanced retrieval augmented generation systems.
- Develop highly efficient caching systems that obliterate latency, ensuring lightning-fast data access.
- Tackle data infrastructure challenges head-on, swiftly troubleshooting and resolving issues to minimize downtime.
- Lead groundbreaking R&D efforts in retrieval augmented generation systems, pushing the boundaries of what's possible.
The amazing skills you'll bring to Ambient.ai:
- A robust background in software engineering with a demonstrated specialization in architecting and optimizing data infrastructure at scale.
- A track record of successfully architecting and scaling data stores to accommodate petabyte-level data volumes
- Profound competence in designing and implementing caching systems to optimize data access latency.
- Hands-on proficiency in managing and fine-tuning database systems, encompassing MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, and OpenSearch
- Expertise in programming languages, especially Python/C++, and sound knowledge of software development best practices.
- Experience with distributed data processing frameworks and a profound comprehension of diverse database management systems.
- Familiarity with retrieval augmented generation systems and their application in data workflows.
- Exceptional problem-solving abilities and a proven aptitude for collaborative problem resolution in a team environment.
Why join us:
- We are creating an entirely new category within a 180+ billion-dollar physical security industry and looking for team members who are also passionate about our mission to prevent every security incident possible
- We have an impressive customer roster of F500 companies, including Adobe, VMware, and SentinelOne
- Regular Full-time employees receive stock options for the opportunity to share ownership in the success of our company
- Comprehensive health + welfare package (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, EAP, Legal Services, 401k plan)
- We offer flexible time off to rest and recharge, including Winter Break (time off between Christmas and New Year’s for most roles depending on customer demand)
- The latest tech and awesome swag will be delivered to your door
- Enjoy a full range of opportunities to connect with your awesome co-workers
- We love to hike, are foodies, and love music! Check out our most recent Ambient Spotify Playlist
We take a market-based approach to pay here at Ambient.ai, and pay may vary depending on multiple factors. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, level, market conditions, and internal parity.
Base salary is just one component of our total rewards package. As a fast-growing start-up, our regular employees are also granted stock options, and an opportunity to succeed when Ambient.ai succeeds. As a young start-up with product market fit, our stock upside is substantial, and a large part of our total rewards strategy.
The pay scale below represents the starting base salary range we expect to pay for this position, and is subject to change*:
SF Bay Area: $176,000 - $220,000
*From time to time, we may decide to make an offer to a candidate that is either leveled below or above this role based on skills, experience, and interview performance.
Ambient.ai is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Ambient does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition, family care status, military or veteran status, marital status, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal laws.Apply for this job